New & Noteworthy: The Blind Barber
Few things in life are more terrifying to us than the thought of letting someone lacking the gift of sight anywhere near our hair with a pair of scissors. It seems, however, that men do not share this fear, as the Blind Barber, a classic barbershop with a speakeasy of sorts attached to the back, has been so successful since its NYC opening in 2010 that the proprietors recently brought the concept west to Culver City. Obviously, the shop’s barbers aren’t really blind, but we’re guessing you’re not all that interested in hearing about the haircuts (which include a complimentary cocktail), though we have heard rumors that ladies can ask for a trim, too, should they be in need of some split-ends severing.
What you should definitely care about, however, are the following 5 facts about the Blind Barber, listed here in no particular order:
1. The Blind Barber is owned and operated by three really cute boys, who you’re likely to meet should you saddle up at the bar for any extended period of time.
2. The food menu is grilled-cheese-centric, and we almost started crying mid-gorge-fest when we went by for the opening -- trust us, these fancy sammies are so insanely good you’ll start to dream about them at night.
3. They’ve got an expert mixologist, but, like the bar itself, the drinks are quietly impressive rather than LA-style-flashy.
4. Happy hour is from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m., Monday - Friday. Beers are $4, specialty cocktails are $10.
5. As if all that awesomeness weren't enough, the suave gents at the Blind Barber have graced us with our very own off-the-menu Broke Girl’s Guide cocktail. It involves Stoli Raz, lemon, lemongrass syrup, and cointreau. You can either ask for The Broke Girl’s Guide Cocktail, or simply mention Broke Girl’s Guide to be served The BGG, and it goes for $8.
If you can’t tell, we’re pretty into this new spot, tucked away as is it in a nondescript strip on Washington Blvd. We’re also easily flattered, and the fact that we’ve got our very own cocktail makes us feel, finally, as though someone appreciates us for being the broke lushes we are. Don’t let us drink alone -- the Blind Barber is open from 6 p.m. - 2 a.m. Monday through Saturday. Just make sure to bring along that guy friend of yours who would be total dating material if he weren't such a scruffy, disheveled mess -- then sit back (beverage in hand) and watch the Blind Barbers work their magic!
May 29, 2012 - 07:31 AM